Criminal Injury

Criminal Injury Claims

If you suffered an injury as a result of a violent crime or criminal activity, you may be eligible to claim compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

To find out if you can claim compensation, call us today to speak with a solicitor that specialises in criminal injury claims or contact us by e-mail.

Compensation can be claimed from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) by people who have been injured as a result of a crime.

CICA is government-funded and has very strict guidelines about awarding compensation for criminal injuries. CICA exists to compensate victims who qualify. In most instances, if you have the correct documentation regarding your criminal injury and you can demonstrate that you meet the requirements to receive compensation, then your claim will succeed.

The requirements for criminal injury compensation are that you must have received the injury as a result of a crime. Your injury you suffered must be bad enough to require at least two follow up doctor's appointments and for your recovery to take at least six weeks. You can receive compensation for either a physical or psychological injury. You can also claim whether your injury was deliberate or accidental; for example, if you were pushed to the ground by a criminal fleeing the scene and suffered a head injury or broken bones.

For those who have lost a spouse, partner, child or parent to a fatal criminal injury can also claim compensation.

Please note that the injury must have occurred in England, Scotland or Wales, and you must report the crime to the police (normally straight away) and then co-operate with the police while they investigate the incident. The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority can withhold or reduce a compensation award if they feel your behaviour may have led to the attack; for example if you initiated a fight or goaded the attacker. In most cases you must initiate your claim within two years of the incident, although exceptions may be made.

You do not need to have legal representation to make an application for compensation and for a straightforward claim is often unnecessary as the CICA scheme does not pay for solicitors' fees, we will advise you on how best to proceed and whether you should use a solicitor.

If you have suffered a serious injury and will have to cope with financial losses in the longer term, you should usually appoint specialist criminal injury solicitor to ensure you get the maximum level of compensation.

Contact us for a free consultation with a Personal Injury Solicitor that specialises in these claims.